Thursday, September 18, 2008

So overwhelmed

I meant to write a few days ago but I've been so overwhelmed with trying to get a handle on the demands of this practicum (my last course in getting my master's degree) and also keeping up with the extra time needed for T's school. Last night I did an hour of volunteer time for kindergarten by making "kindergarten journals" for the kids. They will, undoubtedly, be homework in the coming weeks. It's just practice for writing their letters and words.
I was up till 1AM last night reading all the entries in my class from other classmates. I have to put in my post by this weekend but first I have to research some theorists and their ideas to put together a well thought out, informative post. Then I have to respond to at least one other classmate's post, in a thoughtful and meaningful way. Not just a , "yes, I agree what you've said." type post. It's like writing a mini scholarly paper.
Speaking of. I have to write a large scholarly paper on a nursing theory and a power point presentation that represents what's in my paper. PLUS put together an power point show indicating how I've accomplished all the objectives and goals of the master's program for my oral composition testing. We have to pick a date for that excruciating hour. I picked December 1. Not too early and not the last.
PLUS, I have to put together a professional portfolio that I started at the beginning of this journey, 2 years ago. But of course I haven't even looked at it, let alone added to it (as suggested) for the last 2 years. Too many other things to do!
PLUS I have to volunteer my 4 hours of service learning AND write reflection papers on the experiences.
Add to that, every Monday and some Thursdays I have to be with my preceptor and at some point prepare a lecture to give to the students.
Every time I have to log on to class, I have to get up quickly and run to the bathroom. That's the effect of stress on me--right in the gut. It makes writing papers more lengthy with all the bathroom runs I have to make!
Today, I'm calling to commit myself to taking the last two CLM classes. That way, if I have a date I MUST be prepared to be tested, I'll make myself crack open the binders and study. Plus, if I fail any test (yes, it happened with CLM test #1) they won't let me retake it for 30 days. And I HAVE to get these tests done before the Oral Comps can be taken.
It's very very stressful!!!
I have a few moments in my work day to write this, but now, that time is up.
Until next time....
This weekend, I'm going to my sister's for a BBQ. It's her son's 8th birthday party. Oh, that reminds me, I gotta get to the store and get a birthday present!
Stuff, stuff and more stuff to do.


For the Long Haul said...

Hey there!

First of all, thanks for stopping by my blog. Good to hear from you again. I can't believe all the crap you have on your plate. And you don't really even mention your FULL TIME JOB on your blog here. Mercy. I don't know how you do it all. But for those of us who have been fortunate enough to be a patient of yours, you make it all seem effortless. Truly extraordinary.

(and thanks for the morning sickness advice!)

cmay said...

Wow. Thanks!
Good luck with the nausea!